kccweaves

my journey, as a weaver, from "AH" to "KA", on the eternal path we call "Life"

Friday, September 18, 2020

Headwaters

 One of the most notable facts about Volcan Mountain, is that it is home to the headwaters of both the San Diego River and the San Dieguito River.  Two distinct springs emerge from a western slope to form the source of each of those rivers.  

These two springs are within easy walking distance from each other, and one morning I took the time to gaze upon each of them and their surroundings in turn, mesmerized by the sublime sight and sound of water emerging from the earth. Mmmmmm....

I chose three prominent plants from those springs for this botanical weaving: cat-tail (T.latifolia), western bracken (pteridium aquilinum var. pubescens) and crimson columbine (aquilegia formosa). Their unique forms came together quite surprisingly for me as I was weaving this piece, so distinct are their qualities of form and texture.  

Here are photos of the springs, and photos of the weaving (17”x27”) in which I attempted to depict the movement of the water as well as to display the delicacy, toughness, and wonder of the plants.

Once again, thank you Volcan Mountain Foundation, for giving me this opportunity to explore the mountain as well as my craft.








1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Kathleen. Your work gives a true sense of place. I am so proud to have my/your weaving in my music room!

    ReplyDelete