kccweaves

my journey, as a weaver, from "AH" to "KA", on the eternal path we call "Life"

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Along the Sky Island Trail




While I was weaving this piece, the joy I felt while hiking along the Sky Island Trail came back to me in force.

It was a perfect summer morning, slightly cool at first then growing in warmth, as I walked among the flora, marveling at the charm and diversity of plants, so many of which were new to me.

My progress was slow, since there was much I wanted to take in both literally and figuratively.  As always when I am gathering materials, I plucked only a bit from any one plant.  

Since that outing and during my preparation for this piece, I recalled a quote from the renowned naturalist, Loren Eiseley:  “One could not pluck a flower without troubling a star.”  What he meant by this is that Everything and Everyone in this universe is connected — interwoven.  How wondrous and beautiful and terrifying that is!

And it made me think: does it matter with what intention one plucks that flower?

I say yes, it does.  If we “pluck” with reverence, conservatively, and with love, the stars shine brighter, and so do we all.

Thank you to Volcan Mountain Foundation, for affording me the pleasure of hiking and weaving “Along the Sky Island Trail”....woven with reverence, love, and joy.  22”x31”.










No comments:

Post a Comment