kccweaves

my journey, as a weaver, from "AH" to "KA", on the eternal path we call "Life"

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Sacred Ground

My second foray onto Volcan Mountain was an immersion of my senses into the sights and sounds and smells and textures of the forest and beyond. My senses, and also my heart.
It was a relatively cool morning.  The first sound I noticed was the deep cooing of an unfamiliar bird. I stood still and watched for it...caught a glimpse of it among the treetops...what was it? I have yet to know it’s name.
Then I turned my attention to what was underfoot.  Soft, dark, sweet smelling earth, duff layered with rocks, leaves, pine needles, katkins, seedlings, pine cones, twigs, branches, and bugs.  What a fascinating mix of colors, shapes, growth, sustenance, and decay!
I started gathering them. Not all, just some.  Oh! This twisty twig, this bouquet of leaves, these delicate oak frills, this spray of incense cedar, this sprig of something....
Three hours later, having deposited my first round of botanicals in the back of my car, then proceeding to hike the trail up to the Sky Island Pipe Scope and back again, gathering more materials along the way, I paused before heading home.
My “takeaway”:  this mountain, this 420-plus acres of the Volcan Mountain Foundation land, combined with adjacent county- and conservancy-preserved land of 31,000 acres, is sacred ground.
What do I mean by “sacred”?  Blessed, a bestower of blessings, worth preserving, valuable in and of itself, soul-nourishing, life-nourishing, worth knowing and appreciating and enjoying and celebrating and adoring.
These are my memories and thoughts and feelings, as I wove “Sacred Ground”.
Here are some scenes from the mountains, as well as the weaving.












1 comment: